How To Say Some In Chinese | Measure Word Xie 些 And Tai 台 In Chinese
In this video lesson we'll learn how to say some in Chinese and how to use the Measure Word Xie 些 and Tai 台 in Chinese. Also we'll get to know Loanwords in Chinese.
- How to say some in Chinese: 些
- 一些 VS. 些
- 一些 VS. 有些
- Measure Word Tai 台 in Chinese
- Loanwords in Chinese
Grammar 1: Measure Word Xie 些 in Chinese · HSK 1
In Chinese, xiē 些 is a Measure Word. It suggests the amount of something is "some" or "a few". Since it is a Measure Word, it can be used in the following two ways:
Number (Limited to 一) + 些 + Noun
- yìxiē kāfēi 一些咖啡 some coffee
- yìxiē tóngxué 一些同学 some classmates
- yìxiē fángjiān 一些房间 some rooms
Pronoun (这 / 那 / 哪) + 些 + Noun
- zhèxiē kāfēi 这些咖啡 these coffee
- nàxiē tóngxué 那些同学 those classmates
- nǎxiē fángjiān 哪些房间 which rooms
- zhèxiē 这些 these
- nàxiē 那些 those
- nǎxiē 哪些 which (of more than one thing)
Grammar 2: 一些 VS 些 in Chinese · HSK 1
When using 一些 to mean "some" in a full sentence, the number 一 can usually be omitted, so we can use this structure:
Subject + Verb + [ 些 + Noun ]
- wǒ xiǎng mǎi xiē kāfēi 我想买些咖啡。 I want to buy some coffee.
- tā xiǎng mài xiē shū 他想卖些书。 He wants to sell some books.
Grammar 3: 一些 VS 有些 in Chinese · HSK 2
有些 and 一些 both mean "some", but phrases with 一些 usually can only be used as the object of the sentence, while phrases with 有些 usually function as the Subject of the sentence.
[ 有些 + Noun ] + Verb + Object
- yǒuxiē shū shì wǒde 有些书是我的。 Some books are mine.
- yǒuxiē tóngxué shì Zhōngguórén 有些同学是中国人。 Some classmates are Chinese.
Subject + Verb + [ 一些 + Noun ]
- wǒ yǒu yìxiē shū 我有一些书。I have some books.
- wǒ rènshi yìxiē tóngxué 我认识一些同学。 I know some classmates.
[ 有些 + Noun] + Verb + [ 一些 + Noun ]
- yǒuxiē péngyou rènshi yìxiē Hànyǔ lǎoshī 有些朋友认识一些汉语老师。Some friends know some Chinese teachers.
- yǒuxiē xuésheng xiǎng mǎi yìxiē diànnǎo 有些学生想买一些电脑。 Some students want to buy some computers.
Grammar 4: Measure Word Tai 台 in Chinese · HSK 4
In Chinese, the Measure Word 台 is used for nouns that refer to machines or equipment. It can also be used in the following two ways:
Number + 台 + Noun
- liǎng tái diànnǎo 两台电脑 two "tai" (of) computer
- sān tái kāfēijī 三台咖啡机 three "tai" (of) coffee maker
Pronoun (这 / 那 / 哪 / 几) + 台 + Noun
- zhètái diànnǎo 这台电脑 this "tai" (of) computer
- nàtái diànnǎo 那台电脑 that "tai" (of) computer
- nǎtái kāfēijī 哪台咖啡机 which "tai" (of) coffee maker
- jǐtái kāfēijī 几台咖啡机 how many "tai" (of) coffee maker
- zhètái 这台 this "tai"
- nàtái 那台 that "tai"
- nǎtái 哪台 which "tai"
- jǐtái 几台 how many "tai"
Grammar 5: Loanwords in Chinese · HSK 1
Loanwords are words borrowed from other languages. In Chinese there are a lot of loanwords, mostly from English and Korean. kāfēi 咖啡 coffee is a Loanword borrowed from the word coffee.
There are many other words like this, if you're interested, leave a comment to let us know so we can make a lesson specifically about Loanwords soon!