Time Words 以前 and 以后 | Topic-Comment Sentences in Chinese 主题评论句
In today's video lesson we’ll learn about Time Words 以前 and 以后 and Topic-Comment Sentences in Chinese - 主题评论句. We'll also learn the second way to say to do something for how many times - Times of Action and to do something for how long - Duration of Actions.
Grammar 1: Time Words 以前 and 以后 · HSK 3
以前 and 以后 are both Time Words, which means they are both Nouns. 以前 refers to "before the time point of 'now'”, and 以后 refers to "after the time point of 'now'”.
Both 以前 and 以后 can be used in three different ways:
- by themselves
- attached after a phrase
- attached after a short sentence
(1) 以前 and 以后 used by themselves
- wǒ yǐhòu xiǎng kǎo HSK kǎoshì
(In the) future I want to take (the) HSK test.
- wǒ yǐqián zài fànguǎn sòng wàimài
(In the) past I delivered delivery food at (a) restaurant.
(2) 以前 and 以后 used attached after a phrase
- mǎi diànnǎo yǐqián wǒ měitiān dōu kàn bàozhǐ
Before buying (a) computer I all (of) every day read newspaper.
- zuò le zhèxiē tí yǐhòu wǒ kěyǐ kàn diànshì ma
Can I watch TV after doing these questions?
(3) 以前 and 以后 used attached after a short sentence
- wǒ rènshi tā yǐqián bù zhīdào tā shì nǐ péngyou
I(,) before knowing him(,) (did) not know (that) he is your friend.
- wǒ zhǔnbèi kǎoshì yǐhòu juéde nàxiē tí dōu hěn jiǎndān
I(,) after preparing (for) the test(,) felt (that) those questions (are) all very easy.
Grammar 2: Topic-Comment Sentences in Chinese 主题评论句 · HSK 2
In Topic-Comment Sentences in Chinese 主题评论句 (zhǔtí pínglùn jù), a noun (Phrase) is put at the very beginning of the sentence, because it is the “Topic” that’s being discussed or talked about. And the rest will function as the “comment” about the Topic.
|wǒ hái bù zhīdào
I still (do) not know
|wǒ bùnéng huídá
I cannot answer
|nǐ zhǔnbèi le duōjiǔ
how long (have) you prepared (for)
|nǐ gěi tā mǎi le ma
(did) you buy for him
Grammar 3: Times of Action (II) and Duration of Action (II) · HSK 2
Because we have Topic-Comment Sentences in Chinese 主题评论句, we can use this sentence structure to express Times of Action - to do something for how many times and Duration of Actions - to do something for how long.
(1) Times of Action (Topic Comment Sentences)
- zhè bù diànyǐng wǒ kàn le sān cì le
This "bu" (of) movie(,) I watched (for) three times.
- nà ge dìfang wǒ jīntiān qù le liǎng cì
That place(,) I today went (for) two times.
(2) Duration of Action (Topic Comment Sentences)
- zhèxiē tí wǒ zuò le sān shí fēnzhōng
these questions(,) I did (for) 30 minutes.
- zhè fèn bàozhǐ wǒ kàn le shí fēnzhōng
this copy (of) newspaper(,) I read (for) 10 minutes.